Skip to main content

A haunting tale of The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel


"Roanoke girls never last long around here. In the end, we either run or die."

After her mother's suicide, fifteen-year-old Lane Roanoke came to live with her grandparents and fireball cousin, Allegra, on their vast estate in rural Kansas. Lane knew little of her mother's mysterious family, but she embraced life as one of the rich and beautiful Roanoke girls. But when she discovered the dark truth at the heart of the family, she ran...fast and far away. Eleven years later, Lane is adrift in Los Angeles when her grandfather calls to tell her Allegra has gone missing. Did she run too? Or something worse? Unable to resist his pleas, Lane returns to help search, and to ease her guilt at having left Allegra behind. Her homecoming may mean a second chance with the boyfriend whose heart she broke that long ago summer. But it also means facing that devastating secret that made her flee, one that she may not be strong enough to run from again. As it weaves between Lane's first Roanoke summer and her return, The Roanoke Girls shocks, tantalizes, twisting its way through revelation after mesmerizing revelation, exploring the secret families keep and the fierce and terrible love that both binds them together and rips them apart.  

CONTAINS LIMITED SPOILERS

I can not say enough about this book.  It is haunting, eery, and melancholic.  
The Roanoke family history for the girls born there has been tainted for years by a secret. A secret that haunts the farm and it slowly destroys every female member of the family. 

Luckily, author Amy Engel provides you with a family outline at the beginning of the book. I referred to it numerous times. 

Now with this book, I can honestly say one of the main reasons I am so enamored with this book is because most of it takes place in a fictional town not far from where I reside and that it is based in Kansas.  Growing up in Kansas you will be surprised at some of the things people do to amuse themselves.  Engel does a wonderful job of describing such town in her "Osage Falls".  

I kinda laugh at the one description of the town restaurant, in Humboldt, the town I was raised in, we had a little shack like building and its parking lot was a half circle, well you always did your cruise around the King Burger.  I can almost smell the onion rings and the hamburgers.  

When Lane first arrives at Roanoke she feels like she has finally come home.  She loves her cousin Allegra. She thought she would never return to Roanoke after she ran away from it as a teen, but then her grandpa calls with "Allegra's disappeared" and Lane finds herself heading back to find what happened to her. 

With great character development, lovely settings, we travel with Lane to solve the mysteries of her mother's past, come to terms with her feelings regarding Roanoke, and the boy/man she left behind. 

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did, it is a definite reread.



Thank you to NetGalley and Crown Publishing for an advanced copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

this is me....

When I was growing up, in a small town in Kansas, Saturdays were the days I looked forward to.   My mom would take me with her to the beauty parlor, I would venture across the street to the library. As you would walk into the two story old brick building, the smell of history would waft up as the door would swoosh open and closed.  A faint smell of mold or mildew, mixed in with the other mysterious smells were like a comfortable pair of shoes I would slip into. The librarian, Miss Jane Blades, always welcomed each and every patron with a "Good Morning" and when she seen it was me, she would just smile.  When I was the younger girl, 2nd or 3rd grade, she would have books picked out for me based on the level she knew I could read.  As I got older she had projects for me to do, in case I got bored, or too loud, but mainly it was to make me feel special.  The two story building, made of brick, was like my castle.  Tucked in the wooden shelves, were my cruise or pla

In a BLINK, things can happen. You won't want to BLINK and miss this one.

Three years ago, Toni's five-year-old daughter Evie disappeared after leaving school. The police have never been able to find her. There were no witnesses, no CCTV, no trace. But Toni Believes her daughter is alive. And as she begins to silently piece together her memories the full story of the past begins to reveal itself and a devastating truth. Toni's mind is trapped in a world of silence, her only chance to save herself is to manage the impossible. She must find a way to make herself heard She must fight for her daughter. Warning may contain minimal spoilers. Wow, I am almost afraid to Blink.  Toni lost her husband in an accident in Afghanistan. The loss was devastating, her perfect life was left in shambles.  To begin again, she must pick up the pieces. She decides Evie and her need a new beginning  With the support from her mother, they move to a new town and try to start over. But  it isn't as easy as Toni thought. The new place isn't that ho

A Good Idea by Cristina Moracho

  How Far Would You Go for Revenge? Finley and Betty's Close Friendship survived Fin's ninth grade move from their coastal Maine town to Manhattan. Calls, letters, and a summer visits kept them close, and in the fall of their senior year they both applied to NYU, planning to reunite as roommates. Then Betty Disappears. Her ex-boyfriend Calder admits to drowning her, but his confession is thrown out, and the entire town believes he was coerced and Betty has simply ran away.  Fin knows the truth, and she returns to Williston for one final summer, determined to get justice for her friend, even if it means putting her loved ones -and hers. This book was nowhere on my radar.  I was thumbing through the section at a local thrift store and the cover is what reeled me in. A grungy, big claw foot bathtub in the middle of the woods.  What speaks suspenseful and psychological thriller does that ?  So i read the back of the book and decided $.50 what a steal.  Nothing ventured nothing gain